APPLY TO EXHIBIT
We have two submission rounds each year – approx. March/April and September/October.
Stay tuned for the next closing date. Or sign up to our email newsletter to be notified.
Applications can be submitted at any time during the year,
however, proposals will only be assessed after the closing date of our proposal submission rounds.
WHO CAN APPLY
- Alternating Current Art Space welcomes applications from emerging/established artists, interstate and overseas artists, curators, art collectives, organisations, independent launches, and festivals.
- Contemporary art practitioners including (but not limited to) visual, audio, video-based and performance works, applications to exhibit can be for solo shows or curated group shows.
- All applications to exhibit are considered by the Alternating Current Art Space curatorial committee.
- Payment for the show to be made by the specified date
- Providing good quality promo images by the due date in your contract
- Transportation of work to and from Alternating Current Art Space
- Install/deinstall of your show (assistance will be provided by gallery staff)
- Insurance of your work for the duration of your exhibition, if desired
- Any specialised or additional equipment required (eg: projectors, special plinths, etc)
- An artwork list of all works in your exhibition by the due date in your contract
- Gallery sitting for 3 x 3-hour shifts
- Returning the gallery space to its original condition after the exhibition closes (ie: patching walls, removing all artwork, putting gallery tools away, etc.)
- Repainting gallery walls back to white if walls have been painted another colour and the provision of the paint to do this
- A three-week exhibition
- Advertisement in Art Almanac and Art Guide Australia
- Promotion of your show on social media (Facebook and Instagram)
- Emailed invitation to the Alternating Current Art Space mailing list
- Gallery staff will assist you with install/deinstall of the exhibition
- Provision of basic tools (ladder, hammer, nails, screws, drill, and level)
- Gallery staff will sit gallery for part of the show
- Set up and clean up on opening night
- The gallery will take a 25% commission on all sales
- It is important that you are familiar with the space before applying.
- In your application, number the gallery spaces in order of preference.
- The gallery is open to the public 4 days per week, excluding public holidays. Our opening hours are Thursday & Friday 12-7pm, and Saturday & Sunday 12-5pm. Gallery 1’s lighting operates on a timer and remains lit after hours until midnight Thursdays to Sundays.
- Note: Video works requiring a darkened room are ideal for Gallery 4, as it can be blacked out completely.
- Note: The Cupboard is very narrow.
Gallery 1 – $800
Gallery 2 – $850
Gallery 3 – $500
Gallery 4 – $400
The Cupboard – $170
Click/tap images to enlarge
- Applicants will need to provide a clear vision of their proposed exhibition through text and images in a single pdf document. Please do not send images separately.
- Images – Include up to 10 images for a solo show, up to 20 images for a group show.
- Video links (if applicable) – please ensure the audiovisual content is relevant and of short duration and please upload your content to a platform such as VIMEO or YouTube and include links.
- Please include links to your website, past exhibitions, or links that show us your practice.
- Support material list – please indicate whether the images are of completed work, ready to be exhibited, developmental concepts, or examples of previous work. Please indicate if video/projection works include sound.
- Current CV – 1 page only.
Proposals are to be emailed as a single pdf to email@example.com and are to include:
- Artist(s) contact information
- Title of the proposed exhibition
- A clear description of how you will use the gallery space. Explain your project, its concepts, and aims (max. 250 words).
- Artist statement (50 words)
- 10 images of current work included in pdf
- Artist CV (1 page)
- Indicate preferred gallery space in order of preference and exhibition period
- Include your name in the pdf filename
Note: Submissions that do not include all of the above may not be included in our selection process.